4/14/2010

Day 98 - A Dutch composer

His name is Louis Andriessen.

...
1.

I listened and watched his music from YouTube,
and now I am listening to Philip Glass.

Mr. Andriessen's journey reminded me of what I enjoyed;
Philip Glass, Joe Hisaishi, Meredith Monk ... etc.



I remember what Deam said in our class;
"As a classical music player (Oboe) he could not like Jazz because it was too spontaneous."
Oh, this could happen everywhere; theater, music, and even theology.
My current church is based on Reformed theology, and they never accept the Pentecostal.


Oh, I cannot listen to Glass' musci anymore now.
I changed to Andriessen's. - now, Monk ...

The most amazing thing in my life is I love what I hated most.
I am pursuing a degree about Drama/Theatre for the Young which I most ignored.
Once I disliked Musical Theatre, but I sing it everyday.

To talk about Louis Andriessen again,
when he mentioned about Opera, I remember
what kind of Opera Robert Wilson created; Einstein on the beach.
And his anti-opera thoughts created a great new opera piece.



When I watched his "De Materie", it reminded me of, again,
Einstein on the Beach mixed with Chinese Peking Opera and Pina Bausch's staging style.
Usually opera uses too much of everything - set design, full orchestra, big costumes, and big voice.
Now, I am watching almost empty stage with some Motown style brass music, and it is minial, even voice.



So, I conclude the definitaion of Creativity in two ways;
1) Start from Hatred to Accepting
2) and mix it (let's fusion!)

2.
Quote
"Louis is remarkable in theat his ears are as open as his mind."
"It's also the fact that the sound I want is so different from what the orchestra does."
"The last five or six years I have been concentrating on this one work. .... "film opera"

No comments:

Post a Comment